MODINIS programme: follow-up of eEurope 2005 action plan
The aim of MODINIS is intended to follow up the eEurope 2005 action plan by disseminating good practices, comparing performances of the Member States and supporting action to raise awareness and thus to enhance the security of networks and information.
Decision 2256/2003/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 adopting a multiannual programme (2003-2005) for the monitoring of the eEurope 2005 action plan, dissemination of good practices and the improvement of network and information security (MODINIS) [See amending acts]
Objectives of the programme
The MODINIS programme has the following objectives:
- to monitor performance of and within Member States and to compare it with the best in the world by using, where possible, official statistics;
- to support efforts made by Member States in the framework of eEurope at national, regional or local level, by analysing good practices and establishing a mechanism of exchange of experiences;
- to analyse the economic and societal consequences of the information society with a view to facilitating policy discussions, particularly in terms of industrial competitiveness and cohesion as well as in terms of social inclusion;
- to prepare for the establishment of the future structure at European level for network and information security issues.
The programme also provides a common framework for interaction at European, national, regional and local levels.
Various forms of action will be undertaken to attain the above objectives:
- monitoring and comparison of performance. Particular attention will be given to information concerning the main eEurope 2005 objectives, i.e. stimulating the development of services, applications and content while speeding up the deployment of secure broadband Internet access.
- dissemination of good practices which will help to ensure the successful implementation of eEurope 2005. This will be achieved through studies and the organisation of targeted conferences, seminars and workshops;
- analysis and strategic discussion through support for the work of social and economic experts and support for the eEurope steering group to provide an overview of implementation of the eEurope 2005 action plan and offer a forum to exchange experiences;
- improvement of network and information security. The MODINIS programme will contribute towards preparing the establishment of a structure at European level for network and information security issues. To this end, it will finance surveys, studies and workshops on subjects such as security mechanisms and their interoperability, network reliability and protection, advanced cryptography, privacy and security in wireless communication.
In carrying out these objectives, the Commission will take appropriate measures, including the following:
- awarding of contracts for the execution of tasks relating to surveys, exploratory studies, workshops and conferences;
- collecting, publishing and disseminating information and developing web-based services;
- granting support for meetings of experts, conferences and seminars.
Duration and funding
The MODINIS programme has been operational since 1 January 2003. Initially planned to last until 2005, it has been extended by Decision 2113/2005/EC until 31 December 2006. The financial envelope for 2003-2006 is EUR 30.16 million.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Decision 2256/2003/EC [adoption: codecision COD/2002/0187]||24.12.2003||-||OJ L 336 of 23.12.2003|
|Amending act(s)||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Decision 2113/2005/EC [adoption: codecision COD/2005/0144]||27.12.2005||-||OJ L 344 of 27.12.2005|