Standardisation: information technology and telecommunications
This decision aims to promote closer cooperation in establishing technical standards * in the information technology and telecommunications sectors. It should lead to improvements in international competitiveness among European Community (EC) manufacturers.
Council Decision 87/95/EEC of 22 December 1986 on standardisation in the field of information technology and telecommunications [See amending acts]
This decision aims to implement a Community policy on standardisation in the field of information technology and telecommunications.
Standardisation measures help to facilitate the exchange of information throughout the EC. They reduce the obstacles created by incompatibilities arising from the absence of standards.
Specific measures are proposed to:
- promote standardisation in Europe;
- draw up and apply standards in the field of ICT;
- draw up and apply functional specifications in the field of telecommunications.
The provisions of the decision aim to draw up and establish European standards * and functional specifications. The European standards institutions and European technical bodies in the information technology and telecommunications sector base their work on international standards *.
These same bodies are invited to prepare technical specifications which will form the basis of European standards to make up for the absence of international standards.
The Member States are also required to take measures to:
- facilitate the application of the standards and functional specifications through coordination between Member States;
- promote the application of standards and functional specifications relating to public sector orders and technical regulations.
In the context of differences between existing national procedures, the Member States are required to make reference to:
- European standards and European pre-standards *;
- international standards when accepted in the country of the contracting authority, in public procurement orders relating to information technology and telecommunications.
|Key terms used in the act|
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Decision No 87/95/EEC||07.02.1988||-||OJ L 36 of 07.02.1987|
|Amending act(s)||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Regulation (EC) No 807/2003 [Procedure CNS/2001/0316]||05.06.2003||-||OJ L 122 of 16.05.2003|