Elimination of controls at frontiers in road and inland waterway transport
The controls performed by EU countries relating to technical characteristics, authorisations and other documentation are important to ensure safety in road and inland waterway transport. These controls may, however, be undertaken throughout the territory of the EU countries concerned and crossing a frontier should not, therefore, be a pretext for performing such controls. The elimination of these controls at frontiers within the European Union (EU) is essential to achieve freedom to provide services in the field of transport as part of the common transport policy.
Regulation (EC) No 1100/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2008 on the elimination of controls performed at the frontiers of Member States in the field of road and inland waterway transport (Text with EEA relevance).
This regulation eliminates frontier * controls * on road vehicles and inland waterway vessels travelling between European Union (EU) countries. Checks, inspections, verifications or formalities must no longer be performed as border controls within the EU, but simply as part of the normal control procedures applied in a non-discriminatory manner throughout the territory of an EU country.
The controls concerned are referred to in Annex I of this regulation. The Commission may propose amendments to this annex to take account of relevant technological developments. The annex refers to both EU and national legislation which provide for controls and inspections, including:
- checks on the maximum authorised weights and dimensions of road vehicles;
- checks on documentation showing roadworthiness of motor vehicles and their trailers;
- inspections to verify that technical requirements for inland waterway vessels are fulfilled;
- inspections of passenger lists on bus and coach services;
- driving licence checks;
- controls relating to the means of transport for dangerous goods;
- controls relating to the means of transport for perishable foodstuffs.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Regulation (EC) No 1100/2008||
OJ L 304 of 14.11.2008