We are migrating the content of this website during the first semester of 2014 into the new EUR-Lex web-portal. We apologise if some content is out of date before the migration. We will publish all updates and corrections in the new version of the portal.
Do you have any questions? Contact us.
Protection of consumers' economic and legal interests
The European Union has laid down rules aimed at protecting the economic and legal interests of consumers during their contacts with professionals and in the event of disputes.
The EU has, in particular, introduced a ban on unfair trading practices, facilitated the settlement of disputes out of court and small claims, and harmonised procedures for the termination of infringements in the interests of consumers. It has also set up a European information network and a network of national authorities to ensure the effective application of consumer legislation.
The EU has also made efforts to reinforce legal security by harmonising the rules applicable to certain transactions, such as electronic commerce or certain types of contracts, in addition to the rules applicable to specific sectors, such as transport or financial services.
- CONSUMER REPRESENTATION
- LEGAL REDRESS AND THE SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES
- ELECTRONIC COMMERCE
- Consumer rights
- Consumer credit agreements
- Distance contracts for financial services
- Distance contracts
- Contracts negotiated away from business premises
- Unfair terms
- Sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees
- European contract law
- Timeshare and long-term holiday products
- Purchase of the right to use immovable property on a timeshare basisArchives
- Green Paper: European Contract Law for consumers and businessesArchives
- Package travel
- Rights of passengers travelling by sea and inland waterway
- Rights of passengers in bus and coach transport
- Consumer access to basic payment accounts
- New legal framework (NLF) for payments
- Cross-border payments in euros
- Settlement finality in payment and securities settlement systems
- Financial education
- Integration of European Mortgage Credit Markets (White Paper)
- Mortgage Credit in the EU (Green Paper)Archives