Prices of products offered to consumers
It is compulsory to indicate the selling price and the unit price of all products offered by traders to consumers, in order to improve consumer information and to facilitate price comparisons. Prices must be unambiguous, easily identifiable and clearly legible.
Directive 98/6/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 February 1998 on consumer protection in the indication of the prices of products offered to consumers
The selling price and the unit price must be indicated in an unambiguous, easily identifiable and clearly legible manner for all products offered by traders to consumers ("unambiguous" meaning the final price including VAT and all other taxes).
The unit price need not be indicated if it is identical to the selling price.
However, Member States may decide not to apply this rule:
- to products supplied in the course of the provision of a service;
- to sales by auction and sales of works of art and antiques.
For products sold in bulk, only the unit price must be indicated.
Any advertising which mentions the selling price must also indicate the unit price.
Member States may:
- waive the obligation to indicate the unit price of products for which such indication would not be useful or would be liable to create confusion;
- in the case of non-food products, draw up a list of the products to which the obligation to indicate the unit price will remain applicable.
The Directive provides for a transitional period during which small retail businesses will not be subject to the obligation to indicate the unit price of products other than those sold in bulk.
The Member States must:
- take appropriate measures to inform all persons concerned about the transposition of this legislation;
- lay down, and provide information on, the system of penalties for infringements of the national provisions adopted in application of this Directive.
This Directive repeals Directives 79/581/EEC (foodstuff prices) and 88/314/EEC (non-food product prices) with effect from 18 March 2000.
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Directive 98/6/EC [adoption: codecision COD/1995/0148]||18.3.1998||18.3.2003||OJ L 80, 18.3.1998|