Media II (1996-2000): programme encouraging the development and distribution of European audiovisual works
The aim of the MEDIA II programme is to support the European Union's audiovisual industry with a view to promoting the production and distribution of European audiovisual works. The underlying objective is to prevent the European market from being dominated by imported programmes, particularly from the USA.
The programme, which runs from 1 January 1996 to 31 December 2000, follows on from the MEDIA programme (1991-1995).
It consists of two strands: development and distribution of European audiovisual works; training of those working in the audiovisual industry (Media II Training).
The MEDIA II - Development and Distribution strand, described below, is designed to promote the development of production projects and the circulation of European films and television programmes both within and outside the European Union (EU).
Council Decision 95/563/EC of 10 July 1995 on the implementation of a programme encouraging the development and distribution of European audiovisual works (Media II - Development and distribution) (1996-2000)
With a view to continuing the action undertaken by the MEDIA programme, which aimed to encourage the development and distribution of European audiovisual works during a five-year period (1991-95), the Commission has adopted a new programme (MEDIA II) to strengthen the European programme industry, covering the period from 1 January 1996 to 31 December 2000.
The objectives of the programme are:
- to encourage an environment favourable to initiative and to the development of companies (particularly SMEs) by providing financial and technical assistance;
- to promote the development of production projects;
- to strengthen the European distribution sector in the field of cinema and video by promoting networking among European distributors and encouraging them to invest in the production of European cinema films;
- to promote wider transnational distribution of European films;
- to actively support linguistic diversity of audiovisual and cinema works;
- to promote independent productions in Europe and allow them greater access to the market by implementing promotion measures.
These objectives are intended, more generally, to:
- enhance the competitiveness of the European audiovisual industry;
- highlight the European audiovisual heritage;
- develop the potential of countries or regions with a low audiovisual production capacity and/or with a limited geographic and linguistic area;
- provide assistance to independent production and distribution companies, particularly SMEs.
Community funding will cover 50% of the cost of operations, which means that those receiving Community assistance must cover a significant percentage of the project's funding.
The reference amount for implementation of the programme is ECU 310 million.
In addition to the Member States of the European Union, MEDIA II will be open to countries that have concluded cooperation agreements containing audiovisual clauses and to countries that are members of the European Economic Area (EEA).
After two years and six months of implementation of the programme, the Commission will present an evaluation report to the European Parliament, the Council and the Economic and Social Committee, accompanied, if necessary, by proposals for adjustment.
MEDIA II will last five years (1996-2000).
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Decision 95/563/EC [adoption: consultation procedure CNS/1995/0027]||01.01.1996||-||OJ L 321 of 30.12.1995|
Information 98/C 71/08 - Official Journal C 71 of 07.03.1998
Media II (1996-2000)
Implementation of a programme encouraging the development and distribution of European audiovisual works. Notice of appeal to propositions 6/98. "Automatic" support to the transnational distribution of European films.
Information 98/C 171/08 - Official Journal C 171 of 05.06.1998
Implementation of a programme encouraging the development and distribution of European audiovisual works. Appeal to propositions 7/98 "Aid to development of multimedia projects".
Information 1999/C 34/08 - Official Journal C 34 of 09.02.1999
Implementation of a programme encouraging the development and distribution of European audiovisual works - Call for proposals 7/99 - Support for the development of production projects and production companies