Action programme to promote the development of the European audiovisual industry (Media) (1991-1995)
The MEDIA programme was created to promote the development of the European audiovisual industry. It provides for measures to support the European film and television industry with a view to making the industry more competitive and to improve the distribution and production of European audiovisual products.
Council Decision 90/685/EEC of 21 December 1990 concerning the implementation of an action programme to promote the development of the European audiovisual industry (Media) (1991-1995).
With this Decision, the Council adopted a five-year action programme to promote the development of the European audiovisual industry, starting on 1 January 1991.
The funding set aside for the Community contribution amounts to ECU 200 million for the programme as a whole and ECU 84 million for the years 1991 and 1992.
The main aims of the programme are:
- to help create a favourable environment within which Community undertakings will act as a driving force alongside those from other European countries,
- to stimulate and increase the competitive supply capacity of European audiovisual products, with special regard for the role and requirements of small and medium-sized undertakings and the position of countries in Europe with smaller audiovisual production capacities and/or with a limited geographical and linguistic area,
- to step up intra-European exchanges of films and audiovisual programmes and to make maximum use of the various means of distribution which either exist or are still to be set up in Europe,
- to increase European production and distribution companies' share of world markets,
- to promote access to and use of the new communications technologies in the production and distribution of audiovisual material,
- to ensure that action taken at European level complements that taken at national level,
- to contribute, in conjunction with existing institutions in the Member States, to creating conditions which will enable undertakings in that sector to take full advantage of the single market dimension.
This will be achieved in particular by improving the economic and commercial management abilities of professionals in the audiovisual industry in the Community.
The measures provided for are set out in the Annex to the Decision.
Particular attention is given to Community involvement in audiovisual Eureka projects.
The Commission will provide funding for the projects up to the equivalent of 50 % of the total cost.
The Commission is required to present a report on the results achieved accompanied, where necessary, by appropriate proposals to the European Parliament, the Council and the Economic and Social Committee after the programme has been in operation for two years.
This programme will last for 5 years (1991-1995).
|Act||Entry into force||Deadline for transposition in the Member States||Official Journal|
|Decision 90/685/EEC||01.01.1991||-||OJ L 389, 31.12.1990|