This page is available in 23 languages
European public administration
Policy officer (AD) - European Public Administration
To find out more watch the video from some of the officials who work with us in this area: Cindy (European Commission, DG INFSO), Lukas (European Commission, DG Energy) and Ioan (European Parliament, Human Rights).
EU institutions take decisions that affect 500 million people in 27 EU countries. As a policy officer you could:
- draft policy analysis
- implement projects and programmes of work across Europe
- co-ordinate work across departments and with external stakeholders
- closely support decision-makers
- manage human and financial resources
You must have:
- a good command of at least 2 European languages (one of which must be English, French or German)
- a degree (or be graduating this year) for entry at Grade AD 5
- several years’ relevant experience, to join us at a more senior level (Grade AD 7).
After you have applied online, we will invite you to take a multiple-choice test of your verbal, numerical and abstract reasoning and situational judgment.
If you pass, you will be invited to an assessment centre in Brussels where we can meet you and find out more about your skills in:
- analysis and problem-solving
- delivery quality and results
- learning and development skills
- prioritising and organising
- working with others
These will be assessed on the basis of case studies, group exercises, oral presentations and structured interviews.
More on the selection procedure: Permanent contracts