This page is available in 24 languages
Policy officer (AD) - External relations
To find out more watch the video from some of the officials who work with us in this area: Tomas and Evelina (External Action Service EEAS).
Maintaining diplomatic relations with countries, representing the EU abroad and in the work with multilateral organisations, defining the EU’s foreign, security and defense policy, you have an impact on the lives of the peoples of Europe and all around the world.
As an external relations officer you could:
- Take part in negotiations and implementation of bi- and multilateral agreements between the EU and third countries or international organisations
- Coordinate the external action of the EU with Member States and various EU institutions
- Represent the EU abroad, sustain diplomatic relations with EU partner countries and promote EU interests, work closely with EU delegations and embassies
- Draft political reports, analysis notes and briefings for decision-makers
- Organise and take part in high-level meetings subject to official protocol
You must have:
- a good command of at least 2 European languages (one of which must be English, French or German)
- a degree (or be graduating this year) for entry at Grade AD 5
- several years’ (6 or more) relevant experience, to join us at a more senior level (Grade AD 7).