This page is available in 24 languages
To be eligible to apply for an open competition or selection procedure you must:
- be a citizen of an EU country
- be entitled to full rights as an EU citizen
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed on you by the laws concerning military service
- have thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and satisfactory knowledge of a second – at least one of which must be English, French or German
- for language competitions, you must have a perfect knowledge of one official EU language and a thorough knowledge of a second and third – at least one of which must be English, French or German.
You must also meet any specific requirements set out in the relevant competition notice or call for expression of interest regarding qualifications and professional experience. Please see our guidelines on professional experience and examples of types of qualifications accepted.
Minimum educational requirements vary according to the position.
- all non-graduate positions (assistant-level/function groups II, III) require (at least) that you have completed secondary education
- all graduate positions (administrator-level/function group IV) require at least that you have completed university education (of three years).
Relevant work experience may be required in some cases.
There is no age limit, however officials are automatically retired at 65. For more details, read the Staff Regulations of EU Officials.