Informed citizens understand that they have a stake in the European project. They therefore want to engage in the democratic life at all levels. This is the vision for the European Year of Citizens 2013. The Year will provide an opportunity for people throughout Europe to:
- learn about the rights and opportunities open to them through EU citizenship – particularly their right to live and work anywhere in the EU
- take part in debates about the obstacles to using these rights and generate specific proposals for addressing them
- participate in civic fora on EU policies and issues
- prepare to vote in the 2014 European elections and engage in the EU’s democratic life.
As many activities as possible will be organised at grassroots level, by citizens and civil society organisations themselves.
The European Commission is responsible for:
- a communication campaign, with a multilingual website, campaign toolbox, press kit and promotional material
- a media launch/kick-off meeting in November 2012
- opening and closing conferences and a series of dialogues between the European Commissioners and citizens from all walks of life
- supporting national, regional and local events across the EU.