Bâtiment du Nouvel hémicycle
1 rue du Fort Thüngen
The Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union was set up in 1994 to provide the translation services required by the specialised decentralised agencies of the European Union. The Centre also provides services to the Community institutions and bodies which have their own translation service in order to absorb any peaks in their workload.
The Centre’s mission also has an interinstitutional dimension. Above all, it is closely involved in the work of the Interinstitutional Committee for Translation and Interpreting, the purpose of which is to help achieve economies of scale in the Community translation system by rationalising and pooling working methods and tools. Such cooperation also contributes to the undertaking of large-scale projects, such as the creation of IATE (InterActive Terminology for Europe), a terminology database for the European Union.
The Centre is based in Luxembourg and is governed by a Management Board comprising representatives of all its clients, the Member States and the European Commission. It is financed mainly by payments from the agencies, offices and institutions for translation services provided. The Centre’s publications and documents can be downloaded free of charge directly from its website (www.cdt.europa.eu).
The Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union was established by Council Regulation (EC) No 2965/94 of 28 November 1994 ( OJ L 314, 7.12.1994), last amended by Council Regulation (EC) No 1645/03 of 18 June 2003 ( OJ L 245, 29.9.2003).
Director: M.A. Fernández (Acting Director)