BEREC was created to:
- promote consistent implementation of EU regulation and so improve the functioning of the single market
- replace the European Regulators Group (ERG), through which national regulatory authorities (NRAs) exchanged expertise and best practice and gave opinions on the functioning of the EU telecoms market
- help the European Commission and NRAs implement EU regulations on electronic communications
- provide advice to the European Parliament and EU Council
- complement at European level the regulatory tasks performed by NRAs.
BEREC consists of a Board of Regulators composed of the heads of the 28 NRAs and a support office. The office is an official EU body, managed by a committee in which all NRAs and the Commission are represented.
The BEREC office's tasks include:
- providing professional and administrative support services to BEREC
- collecting and sharing information from NRAs
- distributing regulatory best practices among NRAs (common approaches, methodologies, guidelines for implementing EU regulations, etc.)
- helping the chairperson prepare the work of the Board of Regulators
- setting up and supporting expert working groups.
Regulation 1211/2009 establishing the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications
Administrative manager: Ando Rehemaa
Z.A. Meierovica Bulvaris 14